2021 application overview
September 7, 2021 to November 20, 2021
The theme for 2021 is oysters.
professional chefs around the world submit dishes to pair with sake on a particular theme, and their dishes, techniques, and commitment are announced to the world. The top applicants from the selected dishes will receive ""a tour of a sake brewery"" in Japan.
chefs, cooks, culinary researchers
*Dishes of any genre are permitted.
being interested in sake and currently working with it or interested in carrying it in future.
*Does not matter whether you currently carry sake.
*Any country of residence is permitted.
Ranking by an overall rating through the following methods.
I)Rated based on number of likes on The World's Best Sake Pairing Facebook and Instagram pages.
Ii) Rated based on the number of unique views and accesses on the page where the dish was posted;
iii) Rated by seminar instructors' assessment based on the dish details posted on the application form (picture/description of the dish/unique touches).
refer to the steps below.
Number of dishes
environ 3 – 5 plats par candidat.
Participation dates: Participation dates: September 7, 2021 to November 20, 2021
Social media rating period (i): A.Social media rating period (i): September 1, 2021 to November 20, 2021
Online rating period (ii): B.Online rating period (ii): October 18, 2021 to November 20, 2021
Seminar instructor evaluation period (iii): C.Seminar instructor evaluation period (iii): November 22, 2021 - November 30, 2021
Top 8 announcement: Top 8 announcement: December 6, 2021
No.1 sake brewery tour:late January 2022 - early February 2022
Bonuses for top winners
The winner of the No. 1 oyster dish will receive:
1.A tour of a Japanese brewery*1
*1 Brewery tour + meal with brewers + brewing experience *2 Late January 2022; transportation and accommodation expenses payed in full by secretariat
2.Have a cooking video of their No. 1 dish shown worldwide
To be filmed while in Japan for sake brewery tour
Top 8 oyster dishes selected
1.Xavier Thuizat, a leading French sommelier,
will select a sake to pair with your oyster dish
2.Receive a gift of 1 case of the above sake (720ml x 12 bottles)*
*Shipped by air freight from Japan.
will select sake to pair exclusively with your oyster dish
All applicants submitting oyster dishes (limited to first 200)
Receive a gold or higher prize
at an international competition:
Gift of one bottle
(720ml x 1)*
*Shipped by small-lot air delivery from Japan.
Award-winning sake from global competitions
- International Wine Challenge(IWC), U.K.
- London Sake Challenge, U.K.
- Kura Master, France
- US National Sake Appraisal, U.S.A.
How to apply
STEP1Apply via this website
STEP 2 Note! Watch the seminar
to learn about pairings first
Click here for seminar participation
STEP 3 Required! Select sake you wish
to try pairing
Use the SakeYours smartphone app
to find sake you wish to try pairing.
STEP4Create a dish to pair with sake
You are free to develop the dish per your original idea.
*Any type of oyster or dish is permissible.
- Use of oysters
- Incorporating the content you learned in the seminar (creative ideas/cooking/seasonings, etc.)
STEP5Post an original dish
Upload the following to the form on Japanpage:Home
to complete the process.
- Dish name
- Features of dish and special aspects
- Japanese sake paired with the dish (selected on SakeYours)
- Shop introduction
- About 3-5 items per applicant
Application dates:September 7, 2021 to November 20, 2021
STEP6Ratings from shop visitors, friends, and acquaintances
- ・Dishes should be conceived of by you. If the dish you submit is plagiarized, your membership will be revoked.
- ・Note that posted content (images, videos, dish names, text) may be used for promotional and marketing activities for The World's Best Sake Pairing and its operating company, id10 japan corporation.
- ・The Secretariat cannot compensate applicants for any impact on their business as a result of participating in The World's Best Sake Pairing, or as a result of the rating and reputation from the awards and assessments.